Recipes to Celebrate a (Late) National Pistachio Day

Photo From OneGreenPlanet

Today was National Pistachio Day. Did you know that? I didn't. I didn't even know there was such a thing, though I guess there's a day dedicated to just about anything now days. Anyways, I can't remember the last time I had any so I decided to see what kind of recipes I could find that looked good and included pistachios (besides ice cream of course).




So in my search, the one I am going to try is actually a quinoa dish that uses plenty of pistachio nuts and another plus? It could be good both hot and cold. It uses vegan-friendly pesto with flavors derived from olive oil, pistachios, fresh basil and lemon juice. Toss some tomatoes and several other delicious ingredients and it cerainly sounds like a winner! So here we go: the Pistachio Pesto Quiona (from OneGreenPlanet). Go! Check it out and see what you think.

After all, they're delightfully yummy snack with tons of health benefits. Actually, I can't believe I haven't cooked anything with them before. As part of the cashew family, they're cholesterol free and have tons of nutrients. A single ounce serving gives you more than 10% of daily recommendations of copper, fiber, phosphorous, B vitamins and magnesium (According to AskMen). They also provide a good source of monounsaturated fat (the GOOD fat), which are shown lower LDL cholesterol (see this study).